Monday 17 April 2017

Pictures of Due North

April 17, 2017
Let's start with my creation of Due North.  In January, 2010, Nancy and I moved into the house we had spent several years designing and building.  This is a good place to begin, as you can then recognize in my post pictures the locations of various activities.  First, the house, as seen from the south flower garden. 





Second, a picture of the ponds we had blasted and dug several years ago. Spring is coming to the north country, as the ice regresses in the overflowing ponds. Note the walkway to the dock is under water.



Its now time for our winter guests to leave the area (and our yard) and head back to their summer ranges, which often are up to 20 miles away.



And the waterfowl start to return. Here is the mated pair of Canada geese hanging out with John Wilcox's lovely 'great blue heron', which guards the pond, but is nearly underwater this time of the year.




At the end of a chilly day, we gather for toddies in front of the fireplace in my 'man cave' 😊. I built the fireplace using granite rocks from brother Dave's property on the shore of Lake Superior, which I cut in half to allow for two pieces from each stone. The stones were all smooth and rounded from rolling around in the lake for 10 thousand years!





2 comments:

  1. So what do you cut the rock with?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used a commercial gas run saw with a 10-12"?? diamond tip blade. I placed the round rock in sand on the edge that I wanted to be the outside edge on the cut (halved) rock, and sawed it in half. In many cases, the saw was not big enough to cut all the way through the stone (turning the stone several times to make the cut all the way around the stone), so I would finish the 'halving' with a large chisel and hammer. A few light taps would normally break the stone in half giving me two pieces. NOTE the reddish stone in the lower right corner has its other half above the mantel just ahead to the duck's bill. Therefore every round stone became two halves, which I tried to separate spatially so you would not notice their apparent relationship.

      Delete